Saturday, June 7, 2014

Fight me for gun control

The way I see it, there are a few main reasons people support gun control. If you happen to be reading this and are one of them, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you're just outside your area of expertise. You mean well, but you don't have any experience with the reality of combat, of fighting, of self defense. I've gotten lectured on the ins and outs of self defense by plenty of folks who couldn't throw a proper punch to save their life or figure out which end of the gun the bullets come out of without a manual and a committee.

I'm assuming, if you support gun control, your premise is that you and others are able to defend yourselves as well or better without firearms.The other option would be the belief that without guns, there wouldn't be any crime or need to defend yourselves, which is clearly wrong based on all of human history.

So prove it. If self defense is so much better when nobody has a gun, step into the ring with me. You'll have all the pads you want, and I'm a skilled martial artist so there's no risk of me actually harming you (I've practiced fighting without harming my opponent for around 15 years). I'm pretty well set for fighting. I've spent a significant portion of the better part of my entire lifespan training. Odds are pretty darn good that I'm bigger than you, tougher than you, better at fighting than you, and despite being incredibly out of shape due to surgery, I'm still likely stronger, faster, and probably more fit than you. All in all, I'm a good example of a believable-but-very-bad-case opponent.

I like sparring weapons, so I'll see what I can find in the way of foam padded or rubber or whatever ones, so you can attempt to use whatever you please against me after the first bout, if you'd like.

Either way, with or without weapons, the rules are simple. You must interact with a mock-phone for 30 seconds to represent a call to the police. You must then hold out against me for 3 minutes, assuming a very good response time on the part of the police. That's it.

If you step into the ring, I don't intend to go easy on you. To go any easier than absolutely necessary would be a disservice. I want you to understand the reality of a fight. If I've done my job well, you'll have nightmares about it. I do this because I want you to be safe. I've spent a significant amount of time dedicated to learning about fighting in its many forms. My pursuit of excellence has taught me that true melee combat is one of the most vicious, brutal things you can find, and tends to heavily weight the odds against anyone smaller, weaker and less willing to utilize violence.

If you have no prior training in self defense, I'll give you an hour long lesson. In that time, I've yet to find someone I couldn't get to be fairly competent with a firearm. Assuming you aren't like me and absolutely love to spar, you're unlikely to put in much time or effort, so that seems like a realistic amount for someone who took a self defense class once. And then you'll get to put those freshly trained skills to the test immediately, instead of waiting months or years to let them get rusty.

So how about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment